You Will Make Mistakes But Keep Practicing
You have probably heard the old saying, “Practice Makes Perfect”. If you have never heard that saying, well, now you have. In my opinion, the fear of making a mistake while practicing a new language hinders more people than maybe any other factor of learning a language. Here are a few tips to help you overcome the fear of making a mistake and just practice:
- Have a sense of humor and laugh at yourself because it’s probably okay.
- Whoever you are speaking with will most likely appreciate your efforts.
- Realize that you will make mistakes. That’s part of it.
- Think: “What’s the worst thing that could happen?”. It’s probably not that bad.
- Keep practicing, because practice will increase confidence.
- Watch this video about an experience I may have had on the beach practicing Spanish:
(Embarazado sounds like embarrassed but it actually means “pregnant” in Spanish)
So the lesson is, don’t worry about it too much. Keep practicing. You will do great! I am considered fluent in Spanish, yet I still make mistakes. Remember that, on occasion, we may make mistakes in our own native language. Mistakes are great if we learn from them. Don’t let the fear of them hold you back from reaching your goal to learn a new language!