Some Reasons to Learn a Foreign Language
Some reasons to learn a foreign language are obvious, while others may be new to you. Some obvious reasons are traveling, meeting new people, and improving your work life. With a little help from Brent White, Elise Taylor, and Miranda Gennaro, I’d like to focus on the less obvious reasons, and let me know what you think:
- Understand what’s being said about you when you’re sure it’s not good.
- Understand what your fortune cookie really means.
- Be able to talk to your mail order bride.
- Don’t accidentally order something wrong at a restaurant.
- You can turn off subtitles on foreign movies.
- Swear in front of your kids without them knowing it.
- Know what your Japanese tattoo really means.
- Get better technical support.
- Celebrate more holidays.
- Confuse telemarketers or anyone you’re trying to avoid.
- Get better scores at Scrabble.
- Get out of embarrassing situations by acting like you don’t know English.
Can you think of any more reasons to learn a foreign language? Which reason is your favorite?